Newton - Cellar Worker III
Perform intermediate to advanced cellar operations with limited supervision in order to create wines of the highest quality.
Cellar Work: (85%)
· With limited supervision, perform and direct routine operation of pumps and filters to rack, transfer, and clarify juice and wine.
· Under limited supervision operate all complex cellar equipment, including: membrane and pad filters, heat exchanger.
· Enter accurate and detailed bulk inventory gauging and transfer information on cellar work orders.
· Monitor accuracy and completeness of cellar work orders conducted by Cellar I and Cellar II staff.
· Responsible for sanitation of equipment and facilities in all areas of cellar activity.
· Collect wine samples and general support for laboratory sampling.
· Perform and direct chemical additions to wine.
· Perform and direct basic equipment maintenance such as hose repair.
· Submit Maintenance requests via online request process.
· Perform and direct barrel maintenance.
· Perform all barrel procedures including receiving, prepping, filling, topping, cleaning/sanitation, and inventory.
· Set both manual and automatic tank temperature control.
· Safely operate forklift and handcarts.
· Operate and direct operation of presses and crushers.
· Handle shipping and receiving of wine tankers and grape deliveries.
· Maintain yeast and malo-lactic cultures to ensure viability.
Team Support and Administrative: (15%)
· Participate in safety, department, and company meetings.
· General support and coordination with Laboratory and Operations departments.
· Train and direct less skilled workers.
· Conduct inventory on wine and supplies.
· Take lead role in equipment repair and preventative maintenance programs.
Review completed work orders for accuracy.
Education: High school diploma or GED required.
Languages: Fluent English
Professional experience & know how:
- Minimum 4 years winery cellar experience.
- Knowledge of safe cellar practices, including safe handling of chemicals.
- Knowledge of winery cellar operating procedures.
- Ability to be trained in confined space entry process and procedures.
- Ability to drive a forklift and become forklift certified.
Technical & management skills:
- Ability to understand and perform basic math.
- Ability to understand and perform basic measurements.
- Ability to train and direct less skilled workers, including seasonal labor.
- Preferred: intermediate knowledge and ability of the following computer software programs: MS Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook or Lotus Notes.
Personal & interpersonal skills: Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Newton Vineyard and Winery is dedicated to producing ultrapremium, handcrafted wines in tandem with nature. In the vineyard, Newton subscribes to low-impact farming where maturity is determined by the taste of the fruit rather than by its chemical composition. The terraced vineyard estate on Spring Mountain provides an impeccable source of Bordeaux varietals including Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot.
Newton Vineyard is a part of the Wine & Spirits Division of LVMH – Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the leading worldwide luxury goods company specializing in wine and spirits, fashion, leather goods, perfumes, cosmetics, watches, jewelry and selective retailing.
To apply, please send your resume with salary history to jobs@ chandon.com or come in person to the Administrative Offices at 1 California Drive, Yountville, CA 94599
Newton Vineyards is an Equal Opportunity Employer